San Francisco of the South?

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Welcome to My World

I'm sitting here in a hotel room in Los Angeles having just finished lunch with my parents, my sister and my girlfriend. (Damon & Pythias in Westwood Village. Their L.A. Cheesesteak is awesome) My sister, having just graduated from UCLA, was getting ready to embark on her own adventure and join the real world and start a real job. She's going to be in New York for the next 7 weeks training with the rest of the new analysts for an investment bank. (The bank is of a German variety. So much so that they were thoughtful enough to include it in their name.) She's getting pulled from the well insulated world of academia and literally being thrown into the deep end of the Hudson to see if she sinks or swims. For someone who sleeps more than Punxsutawney Phil, I have a feeling that her transition to the world of investment banking will be a major wake up call for my sister. (Pardon the pun.)

My brother, victim of the same fate, just finished his first year of business school at Haas. (Check out his blog) He was unable to make it to my sister's graduation because of commitments to his internship in the same industry that my sister is about to join. Sad really. It would have been great to have him here. Instead, we are forced to Photoshop his picture into a "missing man" picture of my sister and me. (Ask me about it. I can send you a copy. It's a little eerie.)

Here I am, about to resign from a decent paying job, to move halfway across the country to a foreign land (Yes, Texas is a foreign land) and start hemorrhaging money as I return to school for two years.

Worth it?
Absolutely!

Nervous?
Definitely!

Excited?
You betcha!

Let's rewind a couple of months, about nine months to be exact, and start from the beginning. It was at this time, that I decided to start applying to business schools. It was an interesting experience because my roommate was also in the process of applying to schools. We spent countless hours writing essays, editing essays, re-writing essays and just generally driving each other insane because we could not escape that which was the business school application process. Our apartment served as the epicenter of all that was stressful in San Francisco. Now, most of that stress that was associated with getting into school has been replaced with excitement with a bit of anxiety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home