San Francisco of the South?

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Settling In

I've been in Austin for about 5 days now, and I still don't believe that I live here. Part of it may have to do with the fact that I am somewhat of a transient and living out of a suitcase. All I need is a guitar, a rucksack and a sign that says "Luckenbach or Bust" and I would truly be the transient.

The other day, I was invited to go out on Lake Travis with a couple of new B-school friends. I was really geared up for a fun afternoon out on the lake, since I really hadn't done much since getting to Austin. Not 10 minutes after we put the boat in the water, some ominous looking clouds started creeping in on us. While standing on the dock, we watched as torrential rain walked its way across the lake, soaking us to the bone. Then came the lightning and thunder. Needless to say, we pulled the boat out of the water immediately. I really didn't want to die from lightning my first week in Austin.

I could really imagine the joy of some waitlisted candidate though.

"Um, is this Mary? Yes, this is the director of admissions for McCombs. We have an opening at our school for you. There was a tragic accident where five of our incoming students were killed because they were idiots sitting in a boat on Lake Travis drinking beer in the middle of a thunderstorm. Congratulations!"

The next couple days, I'm just going to be gearing up to go back to school. Boot Camp starts on Tuesday and I really need to get my mind into thinking mode. To tell the truth, I've been somewhat bored without any work to do. I'm sure that will pass though.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home