San Francisco of the South?

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Shake....and Bake...WOOOO!!!

Without giving too much away, Talladega Nights was one of the funnier movies I have seen in quite a while. One of the highlights for me was actually where we watched it. We spent the night in Abilene, TX, a small town in West Texas where my girlfriend lived for about 7 years of her life. Now, I know, West Texas isn't known for Nascar culture, but it does account for a large majority of rednecks, hicks, country bumpkins and about 90% of the pickup trucks in the United States.

We got into the movie theater and it was like a reunion for all the town folk. EVERYBODY KNEW EVERYBODY ELSE. In fact, many of the people, we saw just a couple hours earlier at Joe Allen's BBQ, a great restaurant in Abilene. My girlfriend explained to me that dinner and a movie really was the extent of dates in Abilene. Of course, there are variations on dates, like dinner and the mall, dinner and beers in the back of a pickup truck, or dinner and a drive through Daquiri. (Yes, it does exist.)



OK, gotta pack up and get headed out of here to Austin.

In the words of Ricky Bobby...

"I WANNA GO FAST!"

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home