San Francisco of the South?

Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Last Supper

Tradition has it at my company, that the last day of the quarter, all the account executives get up early and meet up for breakfast a local greasy spoon. Yesterday was no different. I arrived at 6:00am at the restaurant with the rest of my colleagues and our managers and sat down to what would be my last team breakfast. A few people at the table were aware of my impeding departure from the company, but most really didn't have any idea. The conversation went from how people were going to do this quarter, to how good next quarter was looking and finally to what people were going to do over the long weekend.

It was during this conversation that I got a long look from one of my colleagues who is "in the know." I knew that today was essentially a day of lasts for me. It was today that I was going to close my last deal for my company. It was today that I was going to take part in the traditional end of quarter happy hour at the local pub. It was today that I was going to ring that sales bell for the final time. I admit, I was a little sad.
(So, maybe I'm being a bit dramatic as I really still have 14 calendar days on the clock. But hey, this is my blog, and I will exercise artistic license where I see fit!)

Now, I'm sitting here, ready to take off to Austin tomorrow to look for a new place to call home. I've got some bags packed with things that I won't need in the next month which we'll leave at our friends' house. We've got a list of houses that we are going to visit over the weekend. And we have plans to visit my girlfriend's parents over July 4th.

Overall, I'm happy with how things are coming to an end. I'm able to say goodbye to the people that I work with on a personal basis, and several are actually going to be flying in to officially say goodbye at our going away party. Some people may come back from their vacations and be shocked that I'm no longer there, but that shock will pass with time. It always does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home