San Francisco of the South?

Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Mad Dash

Tomorrow afternoon, at 4:00pm, students all around McCombs will be tethered to the ethernet constantly refreshing their screens and trying to gain that nano-second advantage over the other students. All of this madness is for registration. That seems a little crazy to me. I've never participated in this mad dash for classes before, but I guess it will be an experience. My thought, is that they should civilize the entire process a bit and introduce either some sort of priority system, or better yet, a bidding system. If you really want a class, bid a lot. If you are indifferent, don't bid that much. It's pretty simple.

More importantly, I need to pick my classes. I've made the conscious decision to take a pretty finance intensive course load next semester since I really have no background in finance and feel like it is one of the things that you should really learn while in school. I talked to a couple professors at McCombs, asking them their opinion on what courses I should take, and they confirmed that taking a heavy finance course load will help me in the future. I'll admit, I am a little concerned about taking finance courses in the spring with the "Future Bankers of America," but after a long conversation with my current finance professor, I feel pretty confident that I'll do fine. I had a chance to see my midterm score, and apparently, I beat out a bunch of ex-bankers and finance types. I credit my grade to dumb luck. He said it's probably since I've been putting a lot of work in and that I'm open to his teaching. I guess if I keep doing what I'm currently doing (Which is busting my hump), I'll be able to keep this trend going. So, right now, it looks like I'll be taking Advanced Corporate Finance, Investment Theory, Financial Statement Analysis, the core Strategic Management class and my Venture Fellows Practicum. A pretty busy schedule considering Venture Fellows has 3 hours of class time per week and a required 8 hours of internship hours per week.

Hopefully, the classes that I want aren't too impacted. I have a feeling I'll be ok with registration, since a lot of students will be gunning for either a spot on the Global Connection trips, or classes with Professors like Doggett and Nolen. Also, both my Venture Fellows Practicum and my core class are restricted registrations, so, I really only need to register for 3 classes with the rest of the students. I'll let you know after the madness has ended.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home