San Francisco of the South?

Monday, October 16, 2006

A Great Way to Start the Day

Sunday was a very important day in my life. That was the day that I asked my then girlfriend to be my wife. It was quite special for both of us, as I proposed in the early morning, away from the prying eyes of everyday people, but still in the city that we had both love and call home. (That's San Francisco for those of you who don't know.)

Operating under the guise of a trip for my sister's birthday, I travelled back to San Francisco to meet up with friends and family. My fiancee was definitely wondering why I was so keen on returning to SF, since midterms were the next week. In order to throw her off the trail, we spent all of Friday and Saturday with friends and family. I think she basically gave up hope, thinking that I was really planning on waiting until after I graduated from school before I popped the question, or that this just wasn't the time.

Timeline of events:

2:30am - Get home (from sister's birthday party and late night munchies with our friend in Chinatown) and go to bed for just over an hour.

3:45am - We wake up to catch our flight. (6am flight!)

4:00am - Pack up the car to drive to the airport.

4:05am - Girlfriend falls asleep in the car on the way to the airport.

4:10am - Girlfriend wakes up and finds that we are not actually on the route she would have taken to the airport. Grouchy - asks me why I'm taking the longer way. (Not that she really knows. She has a horrible sense of direction.)

4:15am - I say that I think I might have forgotten something and pull the car over...She now realize that we are in front of the Ferry Building with the beautiful Bay and Bay Bridge in the background.

4:16am - I pop the trunk. She asks me to get her pillow while I'm back there...and quizzes me on if I left my keys at our friends' place.

4:17am - I come around and open the passenger door - She thought to give her the pillow.

4:18am - I PROPOSE!

4:19am - She cries...and says yes!

4:22am - We're on our way to the airport so we can make our 6am flights!

Not overly romantic, but very exciting and spontaneous. I did get some great advice. Sorry we didn't use them. (Thanks TK, DA, JC, JG and those I haven't mentioned)

Some other ideas that didn't happen for one reason or another.

1. Throw the ring at her and see how fast she lunges for it.

2. Wrap myself in tin foil, attach the ring to the end of a pugel stick, and ride up as her knight in shining armor.

3. Send her on a scavenger hunt where she would have to get video proof of doing the UCLA 8 Clap and sing the Texas Fight Song.

4. Actually wait until 2080. His comment had to do with a cow, milk and getting stuff for free.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • if only i had read this more often. i would've known a week earlier. congrats again!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:13 AM  

  • same here les, great story dale! huge move! congrats from the kelly's!

    By Blogger franny, at 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home